Below you will see an overview of the ONLINE course content for Osteopathic Approach to the Canine Patient – Level One
Indicative Online Content:
- Introduction and professional communications;
- Dog handling and canine paces;
- Osteopathic concepts for the canine patient;
- Palpation practice;
- Canine behavioural science;
- Case history taking and report writing;
- Global assessment, gait and active assessment;
- Forelimb anatomy, orthopaedic considerations and forelimb assessment;
- Hindlimb anatomy, orthopaedic considerations, hindlimb and assessment
- Thoracic and lumbar anatomy, orthopaedic considerations and assessment;
- Cervical anatomy, orthopaedic considerations and cervical assessment;
- Integration of the dog as a whole (bonus content)
- Soft tissue theory and application;
- Stretching theory and application;
- Joint articulation theory and application;
- Osteopathic integration;
- Creating treatment plans, home management advice and considerations,
- Summary and consolidation of learning.
In addition to the above online content, MCP students will attend a 3-4 day high quality practicum, to consolidate learning, review and practice all assessments and techniques, and complete their summative clinical assessments.
Number of Total Guided Learning Hours for the MCP:
Guided Learning Hours are the numbers of hours that a student spends “being taught” by the lecturers. This number will be confirmed to prospective students once the whole programme has been completed and uploaded to our new online platform. But, to give students some idea, those interested in the Masterclass Pathway, will have to complete 16 online modules, 6 webinars, plus self directed study, practical exploration, critical reflection and live clinic attendance and assessment.
Level of teaching and learning:
The Masterclass Pathway has been written in line with UK Level 7 postgraduate educational criteria to guarantee that our students are ensured a course of good standing. This means that students will be expected to think autonomously and critically throughout and have successfully completed both online and practical/viva assessments. This is the only pathway where successful students will be awarded formal certification by the AOI/ESO. The other pathways will only activate a document of completion (online only) or a certificate of attendance (OEIP), unless OEIP students upgrade to complete the required practical element and successfully complete all assessments.
Number of Hours for the Masterclass Pathway
The Masterclass Pathway has been written and created in-line with 20 HE credits – that being 200 total hours of taught and self-directed learning, (plus assessment), to complete the entire pathway.
Online format and internet requirements:
All 16 modules and 6 recorded webinars will be delivered online. As such, students must be able to ensure internet connectivity. AOI cannot be held responsible for internet failure or that of poor signal, so if you are attending a “live” webinar as part of your chosen route of learning, and you lose connectivity, you will only be able to watch the replay.
If you have already studied some of this content on another course (at HE Level 5/6), you maybe able to attend an accelerated pathway, which expects that you sit the online tests at the end of each module, and, so long as you pass them, you will be granted access to Level II. However, please be aware tha if you fail any of the module tests, you will be expected to purchase and complete the whole module and all subsequent modules (of Level I). This is to ensure that student who attend Level II are of an equal standard. Otherwise it can lead to incongruence within the Level II cohort, which does not make for the right learning environment.